Extreme Servant is a helpful resource designed to give participants the opportunity to study the Scriptures and process why we serve in the name of Jesus. In addition, the resource provides an opportunity for congregations to plan service in their local contexts.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and the mission trips and servant events being postponed, or cancelled, LCMS Youth Ministry thought this resource might be helpful for congregations looking to serve locally in new or additional ways. Churches’ youth ministries may also be looking to pivot from a servant event that requires travel toward service opportunities at home.
Extreme Servant was originally written for one of the Lutheran Youth Fellowship (LYF) Leadership Training events. An expectation of LYF training is that youth participants will go on to lead the same sessions and process them with the youth in their own congregations. Each lesson includes a leader’s guide designed to assist youth in leading the study with other youth. The resource can be used as is if you plan to have youth lead the studies. You may want to begin by reviewing Session 5, as it will provide your youth leaders with suggestions, tips and practice for leading the group.
Download the Extreme Servant Leader Guide Here.
Download the Extreme Servant Leader Participant Guide Here.
- SESSION 1: The Ultimate Servant and SESSION 2: First Things First: These two sessions are Bible studies that reflect on Christ’s love for us and our opportunity to serve others because of His love.
- SESSION 3: In Their Place or in Their Face: The Bible study provided in this session looks specifically at witnessing to Christ and sharing our faith*.
- SESSION 4 Planning an Extreme Service Project:This session is helpful if your congregation needs to select how and where your service is most needed.If your congregation already has plans set, this session and process can be skipped.
- SESSION 5 After your Extreme Service Project: This session provides and important part of any service opportunity, evaluating and processing your experience.
- APPENDIX Teaching Tips, Name Games and Ice Breakers: The appendix provides youth leaders with suggestions, tips and practice for leading the group. It also gives ideas for name games and ice breakers.
May God bless your time in His work and equip you to impact your world through acts of service.