By Peter Hiller
Download a printable PDF of the WordOne Bible Study for Pentecost 4 Gospel.
Text: Matthew 10:34-42 for the 4th Sunday after Pentecost, Lectionary Series A
- Recognize that the Holy Spirit calls us into a relationship with Christ that desires us to make that relationship our first priority.
- Understand that we are Christ’s representatives on earth as we serve him.
Tape or glue
Form groups of 6-8 persons. Choose as a leader the person who has the most cousins in his/her family. The leader’s whole purpose is to keep the group moving through the Bible study and to encourage the participation of all members.
- Distribute scissors, tape, glue, construction paper and magazines. Instruct each participant to make a collage out of magazine pictures and words that best describe his/her favorite relative.
- Describe your collage and tell what the pictures and words represent Explain to the group why the relative you chose is your favorite.
Looking at God’s Word
- Read Matthew 10:34-42.
- What did Jesus mean in verse 34 when he said, “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword”?
- In verses 35-36 Jesus makes it clear that His presence will cause division in our wor1d between those who know Him and those who do not. Do you have a friend or relative who is not Christian? How has it affected your relationship?
- Read verses 37-39 again. What relationship now or in the future do you think will be the hardest to keep second to Christ? Why?
- What does Christ mean in verse 38-39 when He says, “And whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.”
- Sometimes bearing his cross may seem an impossible task. How as Christians can we accomplish that mission? See Matthew 10:40-42 and Matthew 11 :28-30.
Reinforcing What Has Been Learned
Have each participant write down the answers to the following questions. Afterward have each participant share their answers.
- Name three people or things that at times keep you from carrying your cross?
- How do you feel about your relationship with Christ right now?
- In what way do you feel compelled to serve Christ at this time in your life?
Close with a “Pow’/’Wow’ prayer. Have each person share one “pow’ (bad thing) that happened to them this past week and one ”wow’ (good thing) that happened to them this past week. After everyone has shared pray together … “Dear Lord, thank you for your ‘wows’ and help us with our ‘pows.’ Amen!”