(Supplies Needed: printed copies of this guide for each team member, pens)
Jesus, we thank You for this time together, a chance to seek Your desires for this ministry. We trust You are already working among us, and we are excited to be a part of that work. Help us grow closer to each other and to You as we discover more about what You are calling us to be about. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Each person should use the space below to write down at least 3 reasons (if not more) for why they are involved in this ministry. Put the first things that come to mind AND try to think of some of the deeper reasons. ( “I don’t really know” or “Someone dragged me into it” are totally acceptable answers.)
WHY AM I INVOLVED IN THIS MINISTRY:
Something to Consider:
So often in ministry we can get so focused on the “how” or the “what” that we forget about the “why” and the “who,” which are perhaps more important, at least at first. If we have no clue who we are serving or why we are doing it, then we can dream up countless amazing programs, fundraisers, trips, and more that either serve the wrong demographic of people or are completely off target from our vision. Staring with why we’re even here seems like a good place to start.
Various people throughout Scripture share little glimpses of their purpose, their “why”. Below are just a few. Read one or more of these passages together and talk together about their “why”.
- “The Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” (Luke 19:10)
- “I have not come to judge the world, but to save the world.” (John 12:47)
- “I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” (John 10:10)
- “My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” (Colossians 2:2-3)
- “…the angel said to her, ‘Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. …’ ‘I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May it be to me as you have said.’” (Luke 1:26-38)
- “… The Lord said to Joshua… “Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. ..” (Joshua 1:1-9)
Use one or more of these questions for discussion as a group:
- Share a few of the reasons you’re personally involved from your list above.
- What common themes do you see among people’s answers? What differences arose?
- Were there any answers that surprised you about someone else… or even yourself?
- How can knowing these reasons be helpful as we work as a team?
Practical Action Step:
Next meeting we’ll spend more time focusing on why this ministry team exists. For now though, spend some time in prayer this next week asking God to show you why He has you here on earth, and perhaps more specifically, why He has you on this ministry team. Write down any reasons that He brings to mind.
Use this prayer or say your own; perhaps ask if anyone has requests of things to pray for together.
Jesus, we thank You that You stayed laser-focused on your goal while here on earth: to save us. Thank You for Your Word that tells us Your “why”—above all—love! Thank You that there is nothing that can separate us from that love because of Your life, death, and resurrection. Holy Spirit, open our eyes to the purposes You have for us each day individually and as a group. Lead us, Lord, by Your grace into Your plan for our lives and for this ministry. In Jesus’ Name, Amen!