by Lori Potratz
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Lent 5 Gospel.
Text: John 11:1-45(46-53) for the fifth Sunday in Lent, Lectionary Series A
- Recognize the power of God through the resurrection of Lazarus.
- Identify the purpose of Jesus performing this miracle.
- Gain a greater understanding of what the resurrection means for believers, and the hope it brings when we experience the death of a loved one.
This Bible study has been developed for groups of 5-7 people. Have the person whose birthday is closest to today serve as the group leader. As the group leader, this individual will help encourage each member of the group to participate, but will also allow the group members the freedom to pass if they do not wish to share.
Have group members share a time when they have experienced death in their lives. It could be that of a relative, friend, pet, etc. Participants can share their feelings at the time, the questions they asked, who helped them understand what was happening, what comfort they received, etc.
Looking at God’s Word
Read John 11:1-53. Discuss the following questions:
- How did the disciples react to Jesus’ wanting to return to Judea? What reason did Jesus give for wanting to return?
- Put yourself in the place of Mary and Martha. What kinds of emotions do you feel they were experiencing?
- What was Jesus’ reaction to Martha? To Mary? What words of comfort did Jesus give to these women?
Reinforcing What Has Been Learned
- What hope does this story give to us today? How can we share the joy of the resurrection with others who have lost loved ones?
- Discuss the purpose of a funeral.
- Get a copy of a funeral service and discuss the parts of the service. What comfort comes to those left behind?
Close with a prayer thanking God for the miracle of the resurrection and the hope it gives believers for eternal life.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies 11, 1998.
Updated for youthESource in March 2014