By Peter Hiller
Download a printable PDF of the WordOne Bible Study for Pentecost 3 Gospel.
Text: Matthew 10:5a, 21-33 for the 3rd Sunday after Pentecost, Lectionary Series A
(study focuses on Matthew 10:24-33)
- Identify things that prevent people from proclaiming Christ.
- Recognize that the security given us through our faith enables us to act boldly for Christ.
Form groups of S-8 persons. Choose as a leader the person whose place of birth is farthest away from your present location. The leader’s purpose is to keep the group moving through the Bible study and to encourage the participation of all members.
Select four out of the following emotions and describe a situation in your life in which you experienced that emotion:
Share two of your answers with the group.
Looking at God’s Word
- Form groups of 2 or 3 and have each group make a mock “help wanted” ad for the classified section of a newspaper. Instruct each group to develop the ad for a dangerous job. Have each group write the ad on newsprint.
Example: Wanted- Lion Tamer. Previous tamer has disappeared. Applicants must be good with animals, fast, agile and not allergic to cats. No previous experience needed. Pay $50,000 per cat trained plus any funeral expenses incurred.
- Why are some people willing to do dangerous jobs?
- What keeps people from applying for dangerous jobs?
- How are these dangerous jobs sometimes like being a disciple for Christ?
- Read Matthew 10:24-33.
- In verses 24-25 Christ advises his disciples that people will make judgments about them based on their association with him. Some people in that time feared Jesus so much that they even associated Christ with Beelzebub (Satan). What kind of judgments do people today make of Christians?
- In verses 26-31 Christ encourages his disciples not be afraid of proclaiming His Word. In what ways does He encourage His disciples?
- What are some of the risks Christians take to be a disciple?
- In verses 29-31 Christ reminds His disciples just how valuable they are to Him. What has Christ done for you because you are valuable as well? (See John 15: 12-15).
Reinforcing What Has Been Learned
- What verse from Matthew 10:24-33 is most meaningful to you and why?
- What do I fear most about being a disciple for Christ?
- Today I see my relationship with Christ most like …
- Father to child
- Friend to friend
- A new acquaintance
- A distant relative
Close with a circle prayer with each individual saying the following, “Lord help me to be a better disciple this week by…” Amen.