Download a PDF of this devotion to print and share with youth.
OPENING PRAYER: “Jesus, help me understand the meaning of your commandments, as I think about your wonderful deeds. Amen.” (Based on Psalm 119:27)
Mr. Cool is pretty popular and thinks you should be, too. All that matters in his mind is convincing you how important the approval of other people is. Sometimes this comes with a desire to be in the “cool crowd” or to be pretty or strong or athletic. For this identity thief, it’s all about status and being noticed.
Mr. Cool’s Lies:
- If you were in that friend group, you’d be happy.
- The only thing that matters is if people notice you.
- You’re not good enough, pretty enough, skinny enough, strong enough, smart enough, etc.
- If only you could do something great in the world, then you’d be worth something.
How These Lies May Impact Us If We Believe They Are True:
- We may try to do things or say things that we don’t even want to do or think are right just to gain approval.
- In some cases, this can lead to self-injury, disordered eating, or pushing yourself to extremes just to prove you’re enough.
- We often try to change our looks, attitude, groups of friends, etc. just to try to fit in.
- We forget the identity, gifts, personality, and strengths that we DO have and maybe even begin to resent those because we compare ourselves and want what the other people have.
- We find we are never satisfied.
Truth from God’s Word:
- “Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.” Psalm 90:14
God IS enough for you. He alone satisfies. If you can connect with him in the morning to start your day and ask him to fill you up with his unfailing love, it’s a lot easier to resist looking for that love or attention elsewhere as you go throughout the day. When that happens we are happier and more joyful people.
- “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.” Psalm 139:13-14
You are incredible! God made you unique and beautiful and amazing! It’s hard to believe it all the time, but it’s true… God’s work in making you is wonderful! Even when you don’t necessarily feel like you want to, try praising God for who He made you to be and look for the good things to thank Him for about who you are.
- “So she called the name of the Lord who spoke to her, ‘You are a God of seeing,’ for she said, ‘Truly here I have seen the God who sees me.” Genesis 16:13
God sees you! Even when no one else does, He sees. He sees each tear you’ve cried, each joy you want to celebrate, each mean thing someone else said to you, each desire in your heart. He knows it all! He loves you and delights in you. Rest today in knowing that you are seen by God.
Questions to Consider or Discuss:
- Where in your life do you feel pressure to fit in or compare yourself to others? Which of Mr. Cool’s lies are easiest for your heart to believe?
- On some level, it seems most humans struggle with insecurity about not being “enough” in some way. How would you fill in the blank if you had to finish the sentence, “Sometimes I don’t feel _________” (e.g. smart enough, pretty enough, strong enough, etc.”
- What do you think has contributed to your struggle with this?
- Which of the verses stuck out to you most today? How might this passage help you live in your true identity as God’s son or daughter?
Jesus, satisfy me today with your unfailing love, that I may rejoice and be glad in you. Fill me up with your love so that as I go throughout today I won’t need to look to the approval of others for happiness and security. In Your Name I pray, Amen.