By Julie Korte
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for the Pentecost Sunday C Gospel.
Text: John 14:23-29 for Pentecost Sunday
Participants will feel God’s peace and recognize it in their lives.
This study will require small groups of 4-5 students. It will also require the students to spend some personal time with God.
- Share a place where you live that you go to for relaxation.
- Role play the following situations without the peace of Christ.
- Comforting a friend on the death of a loved one.
- Talking with a teenage girl who is expecting a baby.
- You’re graduating from college and you have huge loans and no job, your roommate has been offered two jobs.
- How would the knowledge of Christ’s peace have changed these situations?
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- Read about the peace in John 14:23-29.
- Have you experienced the kind of peace Jesus is talking about?
- What does the passage tell you about recognizing God’s peace?
- What is an area in your life that you feel needs peace?
- Where can you find hope in the passages listed below that provide peace?
- Psalm 119:162-165
- Philippians 4:6-9
- James 3:13-18
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- Take the next 15 minutes for a personal mini retreat. Have the participants find an isolated place.
- Each person should privately, read through “A Piece of Peace” and “An Extra Psalm.”
“A PIECE OF PEACE”
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:30-31.
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair. 2 Corinthians 4:8
Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
The Lord gives strength to His people. The Lord blesses His people with peace. Psalm 29:11
Therefore since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 5:1
“An Extra Psalm”
O Lord, You know me inside out.
When I feel
My future is laid before You.
You know my concerns about
And how I worry about
But I know I can trust You to guide me.
I give thanks to You, O Lord.
And even when
Because I know that You are in control, no matter what.
You are the stronghold of my life.
I shall not fear
Or concern myself with
For you will hold me, protect me and give me peace all the days of my life.
Thank the youth for enjoying God’s peace. Pray for the peace of Christ to touch each of you today.