By Julie Korte
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for the Ascension of Our Lord.
Text: Luke 24:44-53 for the Ascension of Our Lord, Lectionary Series C
Participants will witness Christ’s resurrection and forgiveness of sins.
This Bible study has been designed for small groups of 4-6 persons. Each group needs to select a leader to keep the group moving through the Bible study and to encourage the participation of all members. Participants should always have the freedom to pass if they do not wish to share. The leader will be the person in the group with the biggest feet.
- Take time to get acquainted in your small group. Share a time in your life when you felt a huge amount of responsibility.
- Have you ever been given an important task by a parent as they were walking out the door? They told you what to do and then they left. They expected you to complete that task by the time they returned. Discuss in your small group how this made you feel.
- Is it easy to keep focused on the task? Do other tasks get in the way of the one given to you by your parents? Create a list of reasons we do not get the important task completed.
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- Read Luke 24:44-53.
- What task does Jesus give the disciples? What promise does Jesus also give? How would you have felt given that task?
- You have been given the task to witness Christ’s resurrection, His forgiveness of sins and salvation to the unbelievers. List three people in your life who do not know that Jesus Christ died to forgive their sin and to save them.
- Why are you confident of your salvation?
- What are you going to do about it?
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- The answer to these questions is your faith story. You have just shared and witnessed your faith to the people in your small group. Share this story with those special people you listed.
- Read Matthew 28:19. Jesus left us with a task. Is the task complete? Do we do it on our own?
- Read 24:49-50 and John 14:26. Will your family and friends be in heaven?
Close the lesson by praying in your small group. Ask for Christ’s power to share your faith and to witness Christ to those special people in your life.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies.
Updated for youthESource in May 2016