By Matthew Kuschel
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Lent 3 Gospel.
Text: Luke 13:1-9 for the Third Sunday in Lent, Lectionary Series C
- Identify the things they are currently doing to prepare for Jesus’ second coming.
- Understand more completely the meaning of the parable in Luke 13:1-9.
Chalk board or newsprint
Markers or chalk
If the group is larger than six, divide into small groups. List all the answers and the comments on the chalk board/newsprint.
Answer the following question: If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, what would you do to prepare for that death?
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- What are some of the things you are currently doing to help yourself and others prepare for Jesus’ second coming?
- Read Luke 13:1-9 and answer the following questions.
- Can you summarize, in three words or less, what Jesus is telling us?
- Explain the parable by identifying the characters and objects in the story. Who or what might be represented by each (man, fig tree, vineyard, fruit, caretaker, soil, fertilizer).
- Discuss what parts of the story you can relate to personally? Explain.
- What are some things you could do in the next year to improve your relationship with Christ? List the ideas on the board.
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
Select a partner. With your partner, make a commitment to work on one of the ideas listed in question 4. The partners should contract with each other in order to help each other succeed.
Close with a prayer asking for God’s guidance as you try to strengthen your relationship with Him.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies.
Updated for youthESource in December 2015