- Loose change
- Cups, jars, etc. to hold the change
Set-Up: Divide the participants into groups of 3, and give each group a container of change.
- Ask each player to reach into the container of change, grab 4 coins, and hold them tight. When you say “go,” they are to dump their coins in the middle of their small group, and whoever can correctly add all the change together and shout it out wins the round.
- Play a few rounds, then rotate groups.
- Do this in partners, and go best of 5 rounds, then have a “How Much is That?” tournament.
- Have participants grab only 1 or 2 coins, or in contrast, have them grab a big handful.
- After small groups have played a few rounds, have them merge with another group, so that they are in groups of 6, then merge to groups of 12, etc. until you have one large group.
- Have participants grab change, then, upon dumping, yell only a certain denomination for them to count (such as quarters, pennies, half dollars, etc.)