Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Lent 3 Gospel.
Text: John 4:5-26(27-30,39-42) for the third Sunday in Lent, Lectionary Series A
- Reflect on the story of Jesus and the woman at the well.
- Be encouraged to use this story as an example of how they can witness to their faith.
Copies of a simple geometric drawing (see Group Guidelines for details)
Have the participants divide into groups of two and sit back to back. One of the two should get a blank piece of paper and a pencil. The other person should get a copy of a simple line drawing of simple geometric shapes. The drawing should have around 5-6 shapes that are connected to make a non-descript picture. The person with the picture must describe how to draw this picture without seeing what the other person is actually drawing. The person drawing may not ask questions, but must draw what they think the other person is describing to the best of their ability.
- Divide into groups of 5-6 people. Choose as a leader the person who had the drawing closest to the original. The leader’s purpose is to keep the group moving through the Bible study and to encourage the participation of all members.
- How close did your drawing come to the original?
- What were the challenges or difficulties with this exercise?
- Have you ever had a time in your life when you were misunderstood?
- How about when you thought nobody understood you?
Getting into Scripture
- Read the story of Jesus and the woman at the well, found in John 4:5-27.
- How was there miscommunication at the beginning of their conversation?
- How did Jesus understand her?
- How did Jesus move her along to understand who He was?
- What specific steps did Jesus take in witnessing to her?
- Now read John 4:28-30 and 39-42.
- In your own words, describe the woman’s response.
- What do you think it was that caused her to witness so boldly?
Reinforcing What Has Been Learned
Ask each group to reflect on the following:
- How has God understood you?
- How has He moved you along to better understand Him?
- Is there somebody in your life that God is “tapping you on the shoulder” to witness to?
- How might you use Jesus’ example and steps to witness to them?
Close with a prayer that thanks God for understanding and asks Him to strengthen you as you witness to others.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies 11, 1998.
Updated for thESource in March 2014