By Ronald Bogs
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Transfiguration Sunday Gospel.
Text: Luke 9:28-36 for Transfiguration Sunday, Lectionary Series C
- Know that Jesus is true man and true God.
- Know that Jesus’ mission on earth was according to God’s plan and purpose.
This Bible study has been developed to strengthen your faith in Jesus, and to realize who He is and what He has already done for you. The sharing process is meant to be a time for personal growth and not a time for one-upmanship in the “poor me” department. For this reason, the group should divide into pairs for the BUILDING COMMUNITY and move into groups of four for the LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD and REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED.
It is often said that before the Lord puts our faith to the test He builds us up so that we can overcome whatever trial He has in store for us. Think about some difficult time you may have recently experienced. Thinking back a little farther, can you remember the Lord giving you time, before your day of testing, in which He renewed your strength. Did you learn anything from your trial and testing? What was God trying to teach you? Take turns sharing these experiences.
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- Read Luke 9:28-36. Why did Jesus go up on the mountain? Why did Jesus take Peter, James and John with Him? Who or what did Moses and Elijah represent? What were they talking to Jesus about?
- Compare Luke’s account of the transfiguration with Peter’s eyewitness account in 2 Peter 1:16-18. How does Peter’s eyewitness account reinforce Luke’s account?
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- Luke says about Peter, “He did not know what he was saying.” What insight does this give us about this event?
- What other time did God testify to Jesus’ true being (identity)? Why did He do this?
- Remember what we said earlier, that it is often before the Lord puts our faith to the test that He builds us up so that we can overcome whatever trial He has in store for us. How did this event help Jesus for what lay ahead?
- When does Transfiguration Sunday occur on our church calendar? With that in mind, what did the disciples benefit from this event? What do we benefit from this event?
- We talk about moving events as being “Mountain Top Experiences.” Share with your group one of your favorite experiences.
Close with an ACTS prayer, including Adoration to our great gift giving God, Confession of sins, Thanksgiving for forgiveness, life and salvation, and Supplications for the help of the Holy Spirit to live according to God’s Word.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies.
Updated for youthESource in December 2015