By Steven Pickel
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Pentecost 13C Gospel.
Text: Luke 12:49-53 for the Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost, Lectionary Series C
- Realize that Jesus has come to bring “fire on the earth.”
- See that Jesus’ truth may divide families.
Portable imitation campfire to be placed in the middle of the room
- Break into groups of 3-4 people.
- In your family discussions, what are the issues (such as politics, family rules, etc.) that divide families or may cause disagreements.
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- Read Luke 12:49-53.
- What does Jesus mean when He says, “I have come to bring fire on the earth” and “I have a baptism to undergo?”
- Why does Jesus say He is distressed in Luke 12:50?
- Jesus came to bring peace between believers and God and all the people of His Church. Yet the result of Christ’s coming is conflict and division between Christ’s children and the devil.
- Bring all groups back together and share answers to the above questions.
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- Invite someone from your congregation who has had a “tested by fire” experience, come and share their story.
- How (can and should) faith in Christ make a difference in our relationships with others.
- It is our responsibility to make difficult relationships better. What can you do this week to improve relationships with others?
Gather around the “campfire” and close with a circle prayer focusing on God’s fit of courage as we undertake the “baptism by fire” times in our life.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies.
Updated for youthESource in August 2016