Song Connection: “Real, Present God!” (Link for Video Here)
Theological Talking Point 3
Christ (risen, ascended, complete, sovereign) reigns over all authorities inside and outside the church.
- The full measure and extent of Christ’s reconciliation of all things and reign over all things remains hidden from our eyes.
- Christ is the “head of the body, the church” (Col. 1:18). In Baptism we are buried and raised with Him (Col. 2:11-12), rooted and built up in him (Col 2:6-7), and intimately connected to all other members of one body (Col. 3:14-15).
- There is no “partial” Baptism into Christ and no partial life of discipleship to Christ. When I confess that “Jesus is my Lord,” I acknowledge that all that I am and all that I have belongs to Him and is devoted and dedicated to His service.
- Christ doesn’t “need” our help but He graciously chooses us to play a crucial role in His one story
“God is God, and I am Not!”
If I had a nickel for every time, I have answered a student’s question with this phrase, I’d be a rich man. While it may not answer their question the way they want, it often leads to a great discussion on who God is and who I am, Creator – creation. In our world today, this is one of our most common and misleading sins, thinking that we can know the mind of the Creator. For no one but God can:
- Create and reign over the world …
- Bring us all together in forgiveness and love, as part of His family …
- Lead us through the Holy Spirit to baptism and continued faith growth in our God …
- Lead and use us for His mission in church, community and world …
All Glory to Our God!
Yet, one of the most remarkable things about our God is that He continually brings us back to Him! Just like in the garden, He seeks us out already knowing the answer to His question, “Where are you?”
Well Lord, I’ve messed up again, I’ve put myself before You, and what You want me to be. I have not looked out for the well being of my neighbor. Please forgive me. And He does!
Not only that, unlike other worldviews, our God wants to be actively involved in our lives! All Glory to God!
Everything you and your group is doing at the 2022 LCMS Youth Gathering, God wants to be actively involved in the process! When we begin to open our hearts and hands to ask God what He wants from us, our faith grows!
We invite Him into a process in which He is already deeply involved. In reading that last sentence do you see where the problem lies? Not with our God, but with our arrogant thinking that we can understand our God. “GOD IS GOD, AND I AM NOT!”
Rather, we grow in faith by trusting Him.
As we hear more “stories” from our youth at the Gathering, place that challenge before them, “How can we grow in trusting our Lord more through the challenges we face, this week, and at home, school and our future? Open up your heart to share your “stories.” If God wants to be active in their lives, wouldn’t it be wise to follow His lead and be active as well? May the Spirit bless you to that end!
Heavenly Father, I come to You as a humble sinner, knowing that Your love has reached and touched me with the awesome gift of forgiveness. May I grow in trusting You more, and as a model of that love may You touch the youth under my care through me, as a tool of Your Spirit. As I hear my students “stories” please be with (students name & need) Bless us as leaders as we reach out to them with Your wisdom & love. In Your Son’s name we pray! Amen
“Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid? For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.” – Romans 11:33-36