Our family can bless us in many ways. We can experience support and love from our parents. We can have a caring support system in our siblings and cousins. We can have people to celebrate our achievements and comfort us when we cry.
However, the blessings of family extend far beyond those we live with or are related to – all believers are a part of God’s family! That means everyone who has ever believed that Jesus is their Lord and Savior, everyone, is a member of God’s family! God’s family is HUGE!
God tells us this in Ephesians 2:19-22:
“So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.”
God made us members of his household (family!) through Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection!
We are part of God’s family, along with all other Christians! He is our Father and we are His children. You have SO MANY brothers and sisters in Christ! Remember all that love and blessing you experience within your immediate and extended family? Those gifts come to us within our Godly family as well!
This verse speaks about the family of God being built into a temple or dwelling for the Lord. Not only is God our Father, but here, we see him promising to dwell with us. God is residing within his family of believers – our Heavenly Father is present with us through the Holy Spirit!
- Who is a part of your Godly family, specifically? Think of those in your church or school community.
- Just as we can, and should, build up our family members in faith, we should support our brothers and sisters in Christ in the same way! How can you love and encourage your Godly family in their faith? Make a list of three things: (Pray for them, etc.)
- We read in Ephesians 2:19-22 that God is building his family into a holy temple for Him to dwell in. Does this mean you’re going to become a building? (NO!)
If God’s family is the temple He dwells in, that means He dwells in YOU!
- Does the knowledge that God dwells empower you to share the Gospel? Does it change the way you think about yourself?
- Brainstorm a list of three ways you can honor God in your thoughts, words, and actions through the Holy Spirit as He dwells in you and your family (His family).
Lord God, we thank You for our family, not just those living in our house and not just our relatives, but our brothers and sisters in Christ too. We thank You for: (Take turns and allow each family member to pick a brother or sister in Christ to pray for.) Lord, we thank You for the blessings that come to us through Your family and thank You for dwelling among us. Help us to honor You, our Father, each day. Thank you, Lord. We love you, Lord. In Jesus’ Name, Amen