This devotion is from the Adult Rest Area at the 2022 LCMS Youth Gathering. We wanted to make it available online for those adults who were looking to be refreshed on the run!
These focus on the strengthening your “strength”. Read a verse or two below and think through or write your thoughts to a question or two below.
The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. Psalm 28:7
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
“Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you. Jeremiah 32:17
But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. Psalm 56:16
For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.” Deuteronomy 20:4
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
- After reading the verses, how are you feeling?
- What do the verses say to you about your faith walk?
- Do these verses reveal sin in my life? (Law) or do they show me my Savior? (Gospel) or both?What parts of the text are amazing to you? Did the passage surprise you in any way?
- What key truths have you seen in God’s Word today? What impacts do they make in your life?
- As you reflect today, what questions come to mind? What do you want to ask Jesus about? Who might he speak to you through?
- In what way does the text increase your confidence in your Savior’s love?
- What part of today’s reading would you like to share with someone? Who? Why? How might you do this?
- Who do you need to pray for today?