This devotion is from the Adult Rest Area at the 2022 LCMS Youth Gathering. We wanted to make it available online for those adults who were looking to be refreshed on the run!
These focus on the strengthening your “soul”. Read a verse or two below and think through or write your thoughts to a question or two below.
For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. Psalm 61:1
Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him,my Savior and my God. Psalm 42:11
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28
Bless the Lord, O my soul, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul,And forget none of His benefits; Psalm 103:1-2
For He has satisfied the thirsty soul, And the hungry soul He has filled with what is good. Psalm 107:9
“Bring my soul out of prison, So that I may give thanks to Your name; The righteous will surround me, For You will deal bountifully with me.” Psalm 142:7
Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart, 1 Peter 1:22
For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul? Mark 8:36
“I will fill the souls of the priests with abundance, And My people will be satisfied with My goodness,” declares the Lord. Jeremiah 31:14
On the day I called, You answered me;
You made me bold with strength in my soul. Psalm 138:3
- After reading the verses, how are you feeling?
- What do the verses say to you about your faith walk?
- Do these verses reveal sin in my life? (Law) or do they show me my Savior? (Gospel) or both?What parts of the text are amazing to you? Did the passage surprise you in any way?
- What key truths have you seen in God’s Word today? What impacts do they make in your life?
- As you reflect today, what questions come to mind? What do you want to ask Jesus about? Who might he speak to you through?
- In what way does the text increase your confidence in your Savior’s love?
- What part of today’s reading would you like to share with someone? Who? Why? How might you do this?
- Who do you need to pray for today?