By Matthew Kuschel
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Lent 1 Gospel.
Text: Luke 4:1-13 for the First Sunday in Lent, Lectionary Series C
- Better understand how the Spirit empowers us.
- Learn techniques for responding to temptations.
Chalkboard or newsprint
3×5 index cards
If the group is larger than six, divide into small groups. List the answers and the comments on the chalkboard/newsprint.
- Go around the room and have each student tell their name.
- Have each student describe the hardest test they have ever taken and the result of that test.
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- Discuss with the students the many ways that people react to temptations. List these on the board.
- Ask each student, what are some of the temptations and struggles that you face? List the answers on the board.
- Read Luke 4:1-13. Ask the following questions promoting further discussion with each and list answers on the board.
- Why was the Holy Spirit given to Jesus?
- Why was this test the first assignment for Jesus’ ministry?
- Do new Christians experience this same test?
- What temptations are represented in the tests that Jesus confronted?
- With the following questions, move beyond just giving the right answers to seeing how the Bible story relates to your own life.
- Do you experience some of the same temptations and struggles that Jesus confronted? Explain.
- Answer the following:
- How did Jesus respond to the temptations?
- What are some principles you could list to help you respond to temptation?
- What are some ways you can help others respond to temptations?
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- Develop an acronym to remember the key principles. Display this acronym on the board in the room.
- Write down on a 3×5 index card one way to assist other people respond to temptations this week.
Review the acronym for responding to temptation. Close with a prayer asking God to guide and help you use these principles as a response to temptations.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies.
Updated for youthESource in December 2015