Download a PDF of the Word One Lectionary Study for Advent 1B Epistle
Text: 1 Corinthians 1:3-9 for the First Sunday in Advent, Lectionary Series B
- Recognize/thank God for persons who introduced them to Christ.
- Recognize/thank God for persons who impact them with Christ today.
- Recognize/seek ways to impact others with Christ.
- Recognize the grace God has given us in Jesus Christ his son.
Break up into groups of 4-6. The leader is the one having the longest thumbnail.
Have each person in the group discuss:
- Who was it that introduced you to God/church?
- Who do you look up to as a model Christian?
GETTING INTO SCRIPTURE
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:3-9.
- Look at verse 4. Why is Paul thanking God?
- How did they happen to know about Jesus Christ? (verse 6)
- What was Paul’s testimony about Christ to the Corinthians? (1 Corinthians 2:2).
- Think back to the person you considered a model Christian, what makes them such a model?
- The Corinthians saw Paul’s testimony.
- Whose testimony do you see?
- Who sees your testimony?
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- What is a testimony about Christ crucified?
- What makes a positive impact as a Christian?
- Discuss three ways you could make a positive Christian impact on other people.
- Discuss three people you could make a positive Christian impact upon.
Close with prayer:
Thank you Lord for the people who introduced us to you and for those who continue to impact us with Jesus Christ. Help us to see how and where we can introduce others to you. Amen.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies 9, 1996.
Updated for youthESource in December 2014