Type/Purpose: Food/Messy, Obstacle Course/Race/Relay
Barbecues are a great time for hand cut fries and corn on the cob. This idea makes the prep a whole lot easier, and coincidentally is great fun.
Potatoes (1 per participant)
Potato Peelers (1 per group, probably 3)
Trash cans (1 per group, probably 3)
Chairs (1 per group, probably 3)
Ears of Corn (1 per participant)
Bananas (1 per participant)
Start and End markers (cones, chairs, etc.)
3 crates or boxes (or more depending on how many groups)
- Using the markers, create a start and end point for the relay.
- Divide the participants into equal groups, and instruct them to line up behind the start marker.
- Before the first round, place enough potatoes in each crate or box so that each participant has one. Place the boxes at the end markers for each group.
- Before second round, load the corn in the crates.
- Before third round, load the bananas in the crates.
- Place the chairs next to the crates.
- During each round, the first participant will run to the chair, sit down, and complete the task before running back and tagging the next participant.
- Round 1: After sitting, participant will peel the potato fully, and place it back in the crate. The peelings will go in the garbage can.
- Round 2: After sitting, participant will shuck the corn cob fully, and place it back in the crate. The corn husk and silk will go in the garbage can.
- Round 3: After sitting, participant will fully peel the banana, placing the peel in the garbage can. They will run back with banana, and consume it after tagging the next player.
- After a group completes the task, they are to sit until the full group is sitting.
Notes and Extra Ideas:
- If you fear that your group using a potato peeler could result in unsafe results, DO NOT DO IT. Consider these alternatives:
- Instead of peeling the full potato, have each participant do one potato strip.
- Put a bucket of water and a scrub brush near the chair, and have participants scrub the potatoes.
- Have participants shuck the corn blind folded.
- Instead of bananas, have whatever you want as a treat at the end.