Jedi Training Devotions
These devotions tap into the Star Wars mythos in order to creatively engage youth in discussion on what it means to be a disciple for Jesus.
May the Force...er...Lord be with You
Text: John 14:23-26
DVD Clip: Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Set-up: While cruising on the Millennium Falcon a blindfolded Luke Skywalker attempts to strike down a robo-training droid. In the wings Obi-Wan instructs him to trust in the ways of the "force".
- How did Obi-Wan describe the nature of the "force"?
- George Lucas stated once that the rationale behind including the "force" in his films was to get people to think about God. Based on your previous knowledge, how does the concept of the "force" differ from your understanding of God?
- What "power" does the disciple of Jesus utilize in his or her faith life?
Read: John 14:23-26
- Although Jesus is physically gone how is He continually present in the life of the disciples?
- What is one of the roles of the Holy Spirit in the life of the disciple according to Jesus?
- How does this connect with your daily faith life? In what ways or situations might the Holy Spirit help you to recall the teachings of Christ?
- How is law and gospel connected in these holy remembrances? Why is it important to have both?
Heavenly Father, thank you for sending us your Spirit and empowering us through the gospel to have faith in you. As we grow in our knowledge of you please let that knowledge be continually brought up in our life through your Holy Helper. In Jesus name Amen!