The following policy was originally published as a resource for the 2010 National LCMS Youth Gathering. Thanks to the Gathering for sharing this with thESource!
Youth have the opportunity to attend either Servant Events or National Youth Gatherings. These trips can cost up to $1,000.00 or more, making the cost factor impossible for many youth. We work to provide fundraisers in order for the youth to raise money to help offset these trip costs. The following policy is designed to enable youth and their families to take responsibility in the raising of funds for the events in which they will participate:
- Events for the summer must be publicized by [a certain date] and will be the events for which the year's fundraisers can be used.
- Every Servant Event or Youth Gathering will have a non-refundable deposit, due upon registration and not to exceed 20% of the total trip cost.
- When a youth registers for the event they will receive an estimate on how much their financial responsibility for the trip will be.
- Beyond the deposit, the youth and their families have a financial responsibility to pay for the rest of their trip. This responsibility can be taken care of through a cash or check payment or through fundraisers.
- Three months before the trip, or no later than early booking for the trip, 50% of the money must be raised or paid by the youth or family. (Early booking may include airfare, hotels, car rental, etc.)
- Three weeks before the trip 100% of the money must be raised or paid by the youth or family.
- Each fundraiser has a set guideline for how money is to be distributed.
- The hourly wage will be determined by dividing the total amount of money for hourly wage by the number of hours worked by all at an event.
- The hourly wage will be multiplied by the number of hours the specific youth and those working for the specific youth have worked. This number is the number of dollars that is paid toward the specific trips the youth has signed up for.
- If youth raise more than their trip cost, they can earn a maximum of $50.00 over their trip cost to use as extra spending money. This money will be given to them on the event.
- Once a youth has raised the money needed to cover their financial responsibility for all trips they are going on that event year (including the $50.00 spending money), any amount over may be applied to family members. If no family members are attending the event, the money will go to help off-set adult costs, provide seed money for future years, or become scholarship assistance as determined by the Event Leaders. (Youth may request whom they would like the extra funds to go to and this will be taken into consideration.)
- If a youth becomes unable to attend the event and drops out prior to three months before the event, or no later then early booking for the trip, the money they have earned to that point will be carried over one year into their account (this does not include the deposit).
- If a youth cannot attend an event trip in a given year, they may work fundraisers for the following year. Money will not carry over after two years or after a trip has been taken.
- If a youth becomes unable to attend the event and drops out after three months before the event, or after early booking for the trip, the youth will still be responsible for covering incurred costs to the group. (This is to cover contracts made by the church for this trip.)
- The church will commit to doing fundraisers that earn at least $5.00 an hour or provide a service to the church or community. If a fundraiser doesn't meet these criteria, we will evaluate the fundraiser for improvements or for its continued effectiveness.
- The church will provide the opportunities for the youth to raise the funds, but this policy puts the responsibility for the success of the fundraisers upon the participation from the youth and their families.
I have read and understand the fundraising policy of _____________________________. By signing below I understand our families' financial responsibilities and _________________________ responsibilities to partner with us in providing fundraisers.
Youth Signature ______________________________ Date: ___________
Parent Signature _______________________________ Date: ___________
Minister to Senior Youth ___________________________ Date: ___________
Thanks to Jeremy Becker for the Concordia Kirkwood Senior Youth Fundraising Policy!