This devotion is from the Adult Rest Area at the 2022 LCMS Youth Gathering. We wanted to make it available online for those adults who were looking to be refreshed on the run!
These focus on the strengthening your “heart”. Read a verse or two below and think through or write your thoughts to a question or two below.
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26
Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:23
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; Proverbs 3:5
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; Psalm 26:2
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Matthew 5:8
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14
- After reading the verses, how are you feeling?
- What do the verses say to you about your faith walk?
- Do these verses reveal sin in my life? (Law) or do they show me my Savior? (Gospel) or both?What parts of the text are amazing to you? Did the passage surprise you in any way?
- What key truths have you seen in God’s Word today? What impacts do they make in your life?
- As you reflect today, what questions come to mind? What do you want to ask Jesus about? Who might he speak to you through?
- In what way does the text increase your confidence in your Savior’s love?
- What part of today’s reading would you like to share with someone? Who? Why? How might you do this?
- Who do you need to pray for today?