Download a PDF of the Talk Sheet: Spare Body Parts.
Core Text: 1 Corinthians 12:12-27
Have a Spare Body Parts Olympics. Participants compete without the use of, or with limited use of, a certain body part.
Some ideas: Shoot a basket with your weak hand. Write your names or draw a picture without using your thumbs. Shoot a basket without using your legs (only sitting or lying down allowed). Kick a soccer goal while hopping on one leg. Tie your shoe laces with one hand. Go through a small obstacle course blind-folded. If you have larger numbers, consider a series of “games” and compete relay style.
Major Teaching Points:
Teaching Point #1
1 Corinthians 12:13: At our baptism, we became part of the body of Christ; not because we have some special talent, ability, or skill! Great and ordinary, strong and weak, popular and unpopular, outgoing and introverted, athletes and academics all become members of the body of Christ in the same way, through Holy Baptism!
Teaching Point #2
1 Corinthians 12:14-20: In Christ, we are exactly how God wants us to be. We are not allowed to look down on ourselves or compare ourselves to others, thinking that everyone else has all the good gifts and jobs. The assets we have (personality, intelligence, body, muscles, talents, skills, and abilities) are exactly those that God the Father wants us to have. Even if we think we’re useless, Christ sees us as an absolutely indispensable part of His body. Even if we think our contribution to hurricane relief is extremely minor, it is an indispensable part of the work that the entire body of Christ is doing.
Teaching Point #3
1 Corinthians 12:21-27: We are not to look down on others. Our gifts and abilities are not “better” than others. Even if someone appears to be “useless” for the tasks the body is carrying out, they are still part of the body and deserve even greater honor than those already in the spotlight!
Questions/Discussion Starters for Youth:
- How did you feel doing some of the games without the specified body part?
- What was the most challenging activity? What made it particularly challenging?
- Describe a situation when you, or someone you know, felt like a “useless body part” – with seemingly nothing to contribute, whether to your family, friends, or a even a team, club, or group?
- What similar “useless” or “helpless” feelings have you or your family/friends experienced watching the news and seeing pictures of the devastation of recent hurricanes (or earthquakes, tornadoes, etc.)?
- List two ideas 1 Corinthians 12:21-27 shares about these times of feeling useless in the body of Christ.
- Let’s create a list of ways we, as part of the body of Christ, can be useful tools in helping with the hurricane situation.