By Jim Henkell
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Pentecost 6C Gospel.
Text: Luke 9:51-62 for the Sixth Sunday after Pentecost, Lectionary Series C
- Teach that faith in Christ includes Christian responsibilities.
- Realize that God takes away fear and forgives excuses.
3×5 index cards
Divide students into three groups, giving each group a marker and piece of newsprint. Each group should think of a specific situation where they broke a rule. Write as many excuses as possible to fit the situation.
Discuss these questions:
- Why do we make excuses?
- How do people generally respond to them?
- Name some excuse makers in Scripture.
- What was God’s response to them?
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- Each group should select one of the following Bible verses. They will act out the action that takes place.
- After each group is finished, have the audience answer the following questions about each passage.
- Read Exodus 4:1-16.
- What was Moses’ excuse? What was he afraid of?
- What was God’s response?
- How will God respond when we are afraid to share our faith?
- Read Luke 14:18-20.
- Have you ever heard these type of excuses before? In response to what?
- How will God respond to people who put money, work, people above faith in Him?
- Read Matthew 25:14-30.
- What was the last servant’s excuse?
- Share a situation in which you did not do or say something, because you thought it would not be good enough.
- Read Luke 23:24. Remind the youth that God forgives our sins, even our worst excuses.
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- Read Luke 9:51-62. Ask the following questions:
- Do you make any excuses in your spiritual life? Why?
- Reread verse 62. What are the qualities of someone who is fit for service in God’s Kingdom?
- On a 3×5 index card, privately write down an excuse you make in your spiritual life. On the same side of that card, write down a specific way you can deal with the excuse.
- Write down qualities or gifts that God has given you, that make you fit for service in His kingdom?
- On the other side of the card, write a prayer asking for God’s help in overcoming excuses, or for strengthening your gifts.
Close with a prayer in the small groups. Ask each participant to pray the prayer he/she wrote on the 3×5 index card.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies.
Updated for youthESource in June 2016