By Kathy Jackson
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Pentecost 2 Gospel.
Text: Luke 7:1-10 for the Second Sunday after Pentecost, Lectionary Series C
- Read about Jesus’ power and better understand how He works in their lives.
- Read about the faith of the Centurion and focus on their own faith.
Break into small groups of 5-8 people. Choose a leader by determining who has the largest hand. The leader is to encourage the group to follow the printed study, but may allow participants to pass if they feel uncomfortable. The leader is also responsible to keep track of the time and keep the group moving through the study.
Discuss the following questions:
- When was a time that you had to use all your strength to accomplish a task?
- When was your strength not sufficient and you had to ask for help.
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- Read: Luke 7:1-10.
- Why did the elders feel this Centurion was deserving of Jesus’ attention?
- Why did the Centurion send others, rather than go to Jesus himself?
- The Centurion was aware of Jesus’ authority and power, yet he was a Roman, not a Jew. How do you think the Centurion knew of Jesus?
- Although the Centurion was most likely an influential man, how did he view himself compared to Jesus? How would you feel if you knew Jesus was headed for your house?
- Why did the Centurion believe that Jesus could heal his servant?
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- In your own words, define the word faith. Read Hebrews 11:1. What is being referred to? How can we be certain of what we do not see?
- Most of us are not faced with the death of a servant, but we do face struggles and disappointments. Think about a struggle or disappointment you’ve experienced. Share your example and how your God-given faith helped you through these times.
- You’ve read about Jesus’ power in the Bible. How have you seen His power displayed in your life or in the lives of your friends?
Choose two of the following sentences and complete them:
- My faith was tested when . . .
- Sometimes I doubt God’s power . . .
- I want to trust Jesus more, but . . .
- I am convinced that Jesus is stronger than any problem because . . .
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies.
Updated for youthESource in May 2016