By Kathy Jackson
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Pentecost 4 Gospel.
Text: Luke 7:36-50 for the Fourth Sunday after Pentecost, Lectionary Series C
- Learn that Jesus loves unconditionally.
- Thank Him for their own forgiveness of sins.
Break into small groups of 5-8. Choose a leader by determining who has the longest hair. The leader is to encourage the group to follow the printed study, but may allow participants to pass if they feel uncomfortable sharing. The leader is also responsible to keep track of the time and keep the group moving through the study.
Discuss the following questions:
- How do you usually approach someone when you have to ask for forgiveness?
- What might you do to show you are thankful for something someone has done for you?
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
To understand the text you must first understand the customs during Jesus’ day. When someone came to your home it was polite to have your servant wash their feet. Sandals or no shoes were the fashion of the day and the feet became very dusty. It was also polite to kiss the guest on the cheek as a sign of welcome and peace. Another custom was to put oil on the person’s head, either as a fragrance or to control the dust in the hair.
- Read Luke 7:36-50.
- Imagine this, You are having a pizza party and one of those ladies comes into your home. She sits behind a certain guest, crying, allowing her tears to fall on the feet of this guest. Then she takes her long hair out of the barrettes and begins to dry the tears from his feet with her hair. To top it off she puts expensive perfume on his feet. What might your thoughts be as you see this woman acting in such a strange way?
- Why did the woman in the Bible story interrupt a dinner party to see Jesus? What makes you think she understood who Jesus was?
- How did Simon, the Pharisee, feel about this situation?
- Who understood more about Jesus, the woman or Simon? Why?
- When was a time you have felt guilty for something you’d done?
- Read Romans 6:23. What does sin earn us? What does God give us?
- What are some ways you can show your thankfulness to God for His undeserved grace?
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED.
- Think of a word for each of the letters in the word forgiveness that describes what your group thinks forgiveness is all about.
- Share your ideas about the words.
- Complete these sentences and share with the person sitting next to you:
- Something I learned about Jesus is. . .
- Something I learned about myself is. . .
Sing “I Have Been Bought” or “You Are My Own” from the Singing Saints Songbook, 1990.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies.
Updated for youthESource in May 2016