By Matthew Kuschel
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Lent 2 Gospel.
Text: Luke 13:31-35 for the Second Sunday in Lent, Lectionary Series C
- Identify the tools Jesus provides to help us grow spiritually.
- Better understand how much Jesus loves us and wants us under His wings of love.
3×5 index cards
Chalk board or newsprint
Cut-out tools for Reinforcing What Has Been Learned
Markers and pencils
“If I could. . .”
- Have students each write their name on a 3×5 index card and drop it in a box.
- After mixing up the cards, have each person draw one from the box.
- One at a time, have kids each read aloud the name on their card, then tell that person one gift they would give him/her if they could and why. Make sure kids understand that all gifts must be positive, no joke gifts.
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- Today look at your spirituality and some of the challenges you face, as well as at the assistance God gives you to face the challenges. Rate your spirituality on a scale of one to five. One being not so good and five being terrific.
- What are some of the spiritual challenges that people face? List these answers on the board/newsprint.
- Read Luke 13:31-35. Answer the following questions and list the answers on the board.
- Who is Jesus talking to?
- What is Jesus talking about?
- What is Jesus concerned about?
- Do these concerns exist today?
- How do you see Jesus helping you with your spiritual challenges?
- What tools do you think Jesus gives to help you out when you are challenged spiritually?
- List the answers to the following questions on the board.
- How does Jesus respond to the Pharisees?
- Are there some principles that can be found to help you grow spiritually?
- What are some ways you can stay under the wings of Jesus?
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- Have the students perform a skit that demonstrates one or more of the principles.
- Cut out shapes of tools and have the students write one principle on each tool. Use these tools to make a bulletin board, titled “Tools That Help Us Grow Spiritually.”
Close with a prayer asking for God’s help to stay under the wings of Jesus.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies.
Updated for youthESource in December 2015