by Jonathan Thomas
Download a PDF of the Word One Bible Study for Advent 4 Epistle.
Text: Romans 16:25-27 for the Fourth Sunday in Advent, Lectionary Series B
- Discover that faith is a continual process, not a one-time event.
- Understand the role of good works with faith.
Poster Board (one per group)
Form groups of 4-6 people. The person with the birthday closest to Jesus’ is the group leader.
- Name a gift that you’ve received that has gotten better over the years.
- Name a gift that you’ve received that has gotten worse over the years.
- Each group is to design a gift that will stand the test of time and prepare to share their product with all the participants.
- The group leader should ask, “Now that our company and product is established, do we have to change anything?”
LOOKING AT GOD’S WORD
- Read Romans 16:25-27.
- What does it mean to establish?
- Look up “Establish” in the dictionary.
- What things are established at your school?
- Is faith established once and for all or does it change?
- Read Hebrews 5:11-14; 2 Peter 3:18 and 2 Thessalonians 1:3.
- How does faith grow?
- How has your faith changed over the years?
- If we are called to “believe and obey” (verse 26) [John 14:15] are good works necessary to get to heaven?
- Read Ephesians 2:8-10 and James 2:10.
- State good works are not necessary but are natural.
REINFORCING WHAT HAS BEEN LEARNED
- Does God get the glory in your group?
- Does God get the glory in your life?
- What will be different about this Christmas that will give God the glory?
Develop a top ten (or 20 or 30) prayer list and pray for each item on the list. Close by reciting verse 27.
Originally published in Discovery Bible Studies 9, 1996.
Updated for youthESource in December 2014